(ca.1915-1950's ? ),
Located on the old Narrow gage Railroad line to Millwood Mine, later the line became the standard gauge Pennsylvania Railroad Seger branchline from Millwood Station on the Pennsylvania Railroad Mainline, about 1 mile west of PA Rt. 217, at Millwood, on Seger Road, Village of Seger, Derry Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1915- 1950's ? ) Seger Brothers Coal Company
Company Store: Millwood Supply Company
The mining complex at the Village of Seger, Derry Twp., included three hollow clay-tile buildings and the foundation of the tipple, plus a portion of the slate dump (most of which has been reclaimed). One of the extant buildings is the former machine shop, a tall one-story building with a gable roof. It measures 34 feet x 32 feet. Most of its windows are now infilled with brick. Adjacent to the machine shop is a small hollow clay-tile building. Nearby is a tall one-story building with a gable roof. The tiple was recently demolished and only the concrete support piers remain. All of these buildings are abandoned and in poor condition. The original Seger Mine site is part of a strip mining operation.
The town of Seger consists of three parallel roads lined with double houses and a few single-family houses. They are located on a hil above the mine and number about twenty-five. Two houses stand near the old machine shop. Two Cape Cod houses on Seger Road may have served as the managers' residences. Both structures have identical hollow clay-tile foundations, hipped roofs with dormers and brick chimneys, and large front porches.
About 1907 Samuel and John Seger formed the Ligonier Diamond Coal & Coke Company and developed the Diamond Mine near Ligonier. By the early 1910's the Seger Brothers had formed a second concern, the Saint Clair Coal Company, which operated the Saint Clair Mine also near Ligonier. Both of these operations were served by the Ligonier Valley Railroad. Joined by Charled S. Seger, the Seger family established a third coal company, the Seger Brothers Coal Company, during the First World War. The Seger Brothers Coal Company opened the Seger Mine, and established the town of Seger, in Derry Township, near Millwood. The Seger Mine was served by the Pennsylvania Railroad, by the Seger Branch Line from Millwood Station, on the Pennsylvania Railroad Mainline. The Seger Mine worked the 78 inch-thick Pittsburgh coal seam.
In 1930 the Seger Mine produced about 152,000 tons of coal and employed 144 miners. By 1940 the Seger Mine was using three trolley locomotives, employing 150 miners, and producing 600 tons of coal daily. The company store was owned by the Millwood Supply Company, of Derry, PA. The mine continued to operate into the 1950's.
The United Mine Workers of American Local Union at the Seger Mine was UMWof A #5742.
(History and description of the Seger Mine adapted from "Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1994," America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)
|"Coal Miners Memorial,
Seger, Derry Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania"
|Support the Coal & Coke Heritage
Center, a non-profit research center and museum.
Want to know more about the women who lived in the coal patch towns? You need this book. One of the few studies done on the women of the coal & coke era.
Common lives of Uncommon Strength:
The Women of the Coal & Coke Era of Southwestern Pennsylvania 1880-1970
Complied, written and edited by: Evelyn A. Hovanec, PhD 227 pages.
Voices of the women tell unique stores of the coal and coke era, plus vintage photographs, documents, maps, and newspaper articles. Hardcover $35.00 Soft cover $25.00 Add $5.00 shipping / handling.
Send Check or money order to:
Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State University Fayette Campus
P.O. Box 519, Uniontown, PA 15401
|To Select another Index
to Westmoreland County
Click on the Larry cars
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Westmoreland County Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Westmoreland County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Westmoreland County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2001, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company
[an error occurred while processing this directive]