| Roseytown Mine,
Roseytown & Fox Hill,
A Tribute to the Coal Miners that worked the Roseytown Mine, and mined the Bituminous Coal seams of Roseytown,
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski &
Peter E. Starry, Jr. "The Old Miner."
Virtual Museum of Coal Mining in Western Pennsylvania
A Publication of the 20th Century Society
Updated July 5, 2000
|Roseytown Mine (ca.1884- ?),
off of PA Rt. 119, just north west of Greensburg, Roseytown, Hempfield Twp.,
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania [Roseytown Mine became another shaft entry
to the Crows Nest Mine
Owners: (ca.1884-1902) Hempfield Coal Company
(ca.1902- ? ) Keystone Coal & Coke Company, Greensburg, PA
|In 1884 Hempfield Coal Company acquired the Roseytown Mine. The
miners lived in Roseytown which consisted of three streets of company houses,
or Fox Hill, which was near Roseytown. The mine staft at Roseytown
had stairs and an early type of hoist or elevator, which the miners used
to get to the mining areas.
In 1902 the Roseytown Mine was acquired by the Keystone Coal & Coke Company through the merger of the various coal companies that formed the Keystone Coal & Coke Company.
After the Crows Nest Mine was built in Bovard, and the tunnels extended far enough to reach the workings of the Roseytown Mine, the Roseytown Shaft became another entry for the Crows Nest Mine.
The miners that lived in Roseytown and Fox Hill would use the Roseytown Shaft to get to the mining areas of the Crows Nest Mine. They would go down in the Roseytown Shaft and ride the man trips to the actual areas to be mined. As the crow flies, Roseytown is only about a mile from Bovard (Crows Nest).
Around 1935 Keystone Coal & Coke Company began to sell off the houses in Roseytown to the miners that could afford to buy them. John Lopushansky bought the last house to be sold in 1939, because it was in such poor condition that nobody else wanted to purchase it.
Angelo Cutia [Cutaia], whose father worked in the ine, now owns the last building standing from the Roseytown Mine, know as the "Lamp Shandy". This was were the miners stored their equipment that they used in the mine. The building has been converted in a dwelling.
|Continue your tour of Crows Nest Mine|
|Description of Crows Nest Mine|
|Bovard (Crows Nest)|
|History of Crows Nest Mine|
|The Company Store|
|Coal Miners Memorial Crows Nest Mine|
|John Lopushansky, A Coal Miner of Crows Nest Mine|
|To Select another Index
to Westmoreland County
Click on the Larry cars
FastCounter by LinkExchange
[an error occurred while processing this directive]