|Kinlock Mine No. 1, Shaft Entry
Located on the Kinlock Spur of the Allegheny Valley Railroad (later the Pennsylvania Railroad), the mine shaft is under present-day PA Rt. 366, Kinlock, Lower Burrell Twp. (Present-day City of Lower Burrell)
(Site of the 1928 Kinlock Mine Disaster, a gas explosion that killed 12 miners)
(Site of the 1929 Kinlock Mine Disaster, a gas explosion that killed 46 miners.)
Owners: (ca.1918-1914) Valley Coal Company, Leechburg, PA
(ca.1914-1935) Valley Camp Coal Company, Cleveland, Ohio
|Kinlock Mine No. 2, Slope entry
Located of the Kinlock Spur of the Allegheny Valley Railroad (later the Pennsylvania Railroad), N. of PA Rt. 366 at Wells Avenue, Kinlock, Lower Burrell Twp. (Present-day City of Lower Burrell)
Owners: (ca.1918-1935) Valley Camp Coal Company, Cleveland, Ohio
The town of Kinlock is located on a terrace and hillside adjacent to Pucketa Creek along PA Rt. 366, in Lower Burrell Township, (presentday City of Lower Burrell) near New Kensington, in Westmoreland County. The town consists of the company store, pay station, community center, two sections of company houses and a series of tenements.
|Company Store script from the Valley Camp Stores Company.
The coal company store at Kinlock Mine.
(Courtesy of "20,000 Coal Company Stores," by Gordon Dodrill)
|A ca.1923 photo of a group of miners at the Kinlock Mine. The man standing fifth from the left is James Davidson (Davis). (Photo courtesy of the "Daily Dispatch," New Kensington, PA.)|
|The Company Store
The company store stands at the corner of Hill and Broadway; it is a two-story wood-frame building that measures 66 ft. x 41 ft. Its original vertical wood cladding has been covered with aluminum siding. The building features a gable roof and a tall red-brick chimney, and a relatively well-preserved storefront and wood porch. The display windows have been infilled with sheet metal and the other windows have been altered.
(Photo ca.2010 by Ray Washlaski.)
The Valley Camp Coal Company pay station is a two-and-a-half-story stretcher-bond red-brick building; it contains a hipped roof of asphalt with a brick chimney. The building rest on a concrete foundation; modifications include windows infilled with brick and porches added to the main facade and the rear. The Coal Company pay station is Hereda's Bar and Hereda's Hotel.
|(Photo ca.2010 by Ray Washlaski.)|
|The community center is a stretcher-bond red-brick building,
measuring 78 ft. x 50 ft. It contains a gable roof of asphalt with
brick chimney and a concrete foundation.
A gymnasium was located on the second floor. It has sustained a number of alterations including the installation of new windows and the construction of a two-story brick addition to the main facade.
|(Photo ca.2010 by Ray Washlaski.)|
|(Photo ca.2010 by Ray Washlaski.)
The Kinlock Community Center now houses the Mosey-On-Inn and rental units.
The tenements continue to be used as multiple-family dwellings.
The company-built residences on Hill Street include twenty-two single-family houses. These are one-story wood frame buildings with hipped roofs and tall central red-brick chimneys. They rest on cement-block foundations. These houses retain much of their original appearance. At the end of Hill Street two three-family houses stand. These are two-story wood-frame buildings, with gable roofd and central corbelled brick chimneys; They rest on concrete-block foundations. A tenement building containing six apartments also survives. It contains stucco over original wood siding and is a wood-frame building with a gable roof.
Below Hill Street is another section of dwellings containing about thirty wood-frame double houses and three-family houses, many of which have been altered with new siding and windows. In addition, this part of town contains six single-family houses which retain much of there original appearance.
|One of the streets of coal company double family houses
for the miners in Kinlock. Most have been altered with new siding or
(Photo by Ray Washlaski, ca.2002.)
|Another of the streets of coal company double family houses
for the miners in Kinlock.
(Photo by Ray Washlaski, ca.2002.)
The "Titanic," as it was called, was a large wood-frame wood-sided two-story with a basement, tenement building containing twenty-three apartments or attached row houses. The building once stood south of the company store. The "Titanic" building was a whole city block long. The building faced the old Greensburg Road, west of the present fire hall. A long shed roofed porch running the length of the building was on the first floor or street level, in the front of the building. In the rear of the building the foundation was exposed to ground level and a shed roofed porch attached to the first floor of the building, running the entire length of the rear of the building was supported on posts, on the first floor level, or main floor of the building. The "Titanic" was demolished in the late 1980's or early 1990's, the site was graded and part of it turned into a playground.
Around 1910 the Valley Coal Company, led by Joseph G. Beale of Leechburg in Armstrong County, developed a coal property in Lower Burrell Township. (Beale also had interests in the Aladdin Coal and Coke Company and Joseph G. Beale & Company with mines in Armstrong County.) By 1914 the Valley Coal Company, a concern based in Cleveland, Ohio, led by J.A. Paisley, acquired Beale's Valley Coal Company. Harry E. Kinlock of Parnassus, Pennsylvania (the town is now the Parnassus section of the City of New Kensington), served as the company's general superintendent.
The Valley Camp mine, a drift entry mine situated on the 72"-thick
Freeport Coal seam employed 300 persons and produced over 420,000 tons of
coal each year.
By ca.1918 the Kinlock Mine employed 329 persons. That year
Kinlock Mine miners extracted nearly 398,000 tons of coal. By the
end of the First World War the town of Kinlock included numerous company
houses, a company store, and a community center.
(History and description of Kinlock Mine, adapted from with additional data and photos, "Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1994," America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)
Kinlock Mine Disaster: February
Kinlock Mine Disaster: March
By the early 1930's the mine was producing more than 100,000 tons of coal per year. The Kinlock Mine never achived the production levels it had reached prior to the 1929 explosion and the company ceased operations at the Kinlock Mine ca.1935.
Miners Buy Own Homes for Few Hundreds at Auction.
Kinlock, PA Sept. 18, 1936
All the homes and buildings in this mining village of nearly
1,000 inhabitants went under the auctioneer's hammer today.
The little town of Kinlock, Pa., twenty miles from Pittsburgh, was sold at auction the other day. It was a "Company-Owned" coal town of about 1,000 inhabitants. The company had shut down the mine because it was unprofitable, and was selling out. It was, according to current economic views a natural and legitimate proceeding.
The general store and community house brot $4,475, being bought by a woman who evidently had more faith in the place than the coal company had. The "Company houses" went for $100 to $250 apiece, at which price thay may or may not have been bargains. The tenants, mostly unemployed and moneyless, were uncertain of their fate.
The coal mine was the town's leading industry. Most of the miners are remaining there for lack of any other place to go, wanting work, but with prospects very slim. Of course they cannot be allowed to starve and freeze. Somebody will have to provide for them, probably the federal government.
That town is interesting for the human problems involved and
for the economic problems it represents. What is to be done with such
a community? Has modern industrial civilization a constructive
1971 20,000 Coal Company Stores: in the United States, Mexico and Canada. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne Lithographing Company.
|Keystone Consolidated Publishing Company
1935 The Coal Catalog, Including Directory of Mines. Pittsburgh, PA: Keystone Consolidated Company.
|Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
1911 Report of the Department of Mines of Pennsylvania: Part II - Bituminous, 1910. Harrisburg, PA: C.E.Aughinbaugh, State Printer.
1916 Report of the Department of Mines of Pennsylvania: Part II - Bituminous. 1915. Harrisburg, PA: Wm. Stanley Ray, State Printer.
1920 Report of the Department of Mines of Pennsylvania: Part II - Bituminous, 1918. Harrisburg, PA: J.L.L. Kuhn.
1927 Report of the Department of Mines: Part II - Bituminous,1923-1926. Harrisburg, PA: J.L.L. Kuhn.
1932 Report of the Department of Mines: Part II - Bituminous, 1929-1930. Harrisburg, PA: n.p.
n.d. Historical Mining Disasters. from the archives of the National Mine Health and Safety Academy's Library. Beckeley, WV: National Mine Health and Safety Academy
|Muller, Edward K. & Ronald C. Carlisle
1994 Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites. Historic American Building Survey/ Historic American Engineering Record, HABS/HAER. America's Industrial Heritage Project. Washington, D.C.: National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
| Washington County Department of Environmental
n.d. Mining Records. McMurray, PA: Washington County Department of Environmental Resources.