(This Page Still Underconstruction)
|Waterman No. 1 Mine
Located on the Tearing Run Branch of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway, on Tearing Run, Waterman, Center Twp., Indiana Co., PA
[Located on the U.S.G.S. 7 1/2 min. Indiana, PA quad map.]
[UTM: E. 17 E.658700 - N.4487350]
Owners: (ca.1913-1952), Brush Creek Mining Company, Indiana, PA
[A subsidiary of Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Co.]
Waterman No. 2 Mine (ca.1913
|A portion of the U.S.G.S. Indiana, PA 7 1/2 min. quad
Map showing Coy, Waterman, Tide and Luciusboro. These mines were served by
the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railroad
(Curtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, D.C.)
|Brush Creek Coal Field showing the location
of the, Waterman No. 1 Mine, Coy Mines, Luciusboro Mines, and Snyder Mines
of the Brush Creek Coal Mining Company, located on the Tearing Run
Branch of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway Also the
Lucerne Mines and Tide Mines on the Yellow Creek Branch of the B. R. &
(Research and Map courtesy of Eileen Mountjoy Cooper, formerly of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, copied from Cooper's book "Rochester &: Pittsburgh Coal Company: The First Hundred Years." ca.1982)
Waterman, on Chestnut Ridge in eastern Center Township, Indiana County, was established in ca.1913 by the Brush Creek Mining Company of Indiana, PA, a subsidiary company of Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company, as a part of its operations in the Brush Creek Coal Field. At least sixty miners houses were once located in Waterman, the majority of which remain. The town of Waterman was named for Lucius Waterman Robinson, president of Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company.
The typical double family house in Waterman is similar to other houses built for the coal company at nearby Tide and Coy. Built on a random rubble stone foundation, the houses are clad in weatherboard siding and are topped by side-gable slate or single roofs. Single brick chimneys, shared by both units, are located at the central roof ridge. Shed porches extend nearly across the front, on most houses, shed porches at the rear have been enclosed for additional liviing space. Most of the tightly packed houses have had their original gray weatherboard walls covered with synthetic siding, but their original plans are still evident.
A double-family miners house in Waterman ca.1993.
|On the hillside south of the town, seven
houses remain which once housed the mine superintendent and mine foreman.
These are larger houses, with bigger yards and more elaborate
ornamentation. Most have been substantially altered.
The coal company store & Post Office once stood on the lower side of the village, they no longer exist. The area has been replaced by a nondescript concrete block building. The Waterman No. 1 Mine complex itself has been dismantled and strip mining operations have been conducted in the area.
On January 1, 1913, the Rochester & Pitttsburgh Coal & Iron Company officers incorporated still another coal company, the Brush Creek Coal Mining Company, to develop coal lands owned by Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Co. in Center Township, Indiana County, Pennsylvania. This was a typical action of many of the coal companies to form sudsidiary coal companies with the same officers and investors as the parent company, probably to avoid various corporation taxes.
|Undated photo of the coal company patch
town of Waterman, Center Township, Indiana Co. The large building on
the right is the coal company store. Note the outhouses on the hill
behind the houses. The Rochester, Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railway
tracks in the foreground served the town and the mines.
(Photo courtesy of Eileen Mountjoy Cooper, formerly of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, copied from Cooper's book "Rochester &: Pittsburgh Coal Company: The First Hundred Years." ca.1982)
|The coal in this "Brush Creek Coal Field,"
though relatively high in sulphur and ash content, was considered to be efficient
for steam purposes.
Waterman No. 1 Mine was a drift mine opened in the "B" coal seam, in the Brush Creek Coal Field , in ca.1913. The Hyde-Murphy Company, which has constructed the Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal Company housing at Ernest and Iselin patches, began construction of weatherboarded frame houses for the miners at Waterman. Eventually, sixty double family houses along the Homer City road were built by ca.1930, plus a series of management houses on the hillside southeast of the main patch row. The miner's residences were all constructed by the Hyde-Murphy Company of Ridgeway, Pennsylvania.
Waterman was also provided with a company store building and a post office. By ca.1914 Waterman had both passenger and freight service on the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad's Tearing Run Branch.
A unique aspect of the Brush Creek Coal Field was that due to the proximity of the several mine openings, the miners' houses in the several coal patch towns were located as to be available for any of the mines, with the exception of Luciusboro.
In 1914, only a year after the Waterman No. 1 Mine opened, 65,000 tons of coal were produced by seventy-five men and boys. The Waterman Mines were electrified and ventilation was provided by a Stine fan.
Waterman No. 2 Mine was located north of Waterman, near the coal patch town of Tide, which was build by the Tide Coal Mining Company, another subsidiary of Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Co.
From Deborah L. Mumau we have this bit of information on living in Tide. Samuel Garland Pizer worked in the Waterman Mines as did most of his sons. Harry Pizer, Deborah L. Mumau's uncle was killed at Waterman No.2 Mine. Her mother tells stories of growing up in the Tide coal patch and how they played in the creek and my grandmother always knew, because of the sulfer water, and they would come home with orange feet. She told me she used to see her brother Harry every morning because they used to have to walk to school and he would holler at her from the tipple. Harry was only 23 when he died from his injuries in the Waterman No. 2 Mine.
The Waterman No. 2 Mine buildings and electrical substation,
located near Tide.
|Undated photo of the Waterman No. 2 Mine.
The mine tracks in the center of the photo went into the Waterman N. 2
(Photo courtesy of Deborah L. Mumau, whose grandparents lived in Tide..)
|An accident in ca.1937 took the lives of
two student engineers in Waterman No. 2 Mine, when a runaway string of mine
cars crashed into an empty mine car.
Underground mining ceased at the Waterman Mines in ca.,1952, though strip-mining was conducted for many years in the area.
The coal company owned miners houses in Waterman were sold by the coal company in ca.1947, and are now all privately owned.
(History of the Waterman Mines, Waterman & Tide, Center Twp., Indiana Co., PA, adapted with additional data from "Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal Company, The First One Hundred Years," by Eileen Mountjoy Cooper, formerly of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA. Published by Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal Company, 1982.)
(History and description of the Waterman Mines, adapted with additional data from "Indiana County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1993," America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)
Memorial, Waterman Mines
Waterman & Tide, Center Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Indiana County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Indiana County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Indiana County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Indiana County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2005, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company