|Coalport, Conemaugh Twp, Indiana Co.,
[A coal company patch town in Conemaugh Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania.]
[Coalport, was on the old Main Line Pennsylvania Canal, name was later changed to Edri.]
Edri, Conemaugh Twp, Indiana Co., PA
Edri Mine (ca.1901- ?
Edri No. 10 Mine (ca.1908- ?
| A portion of the U.S.G.S. ca.1902, Elders Ridge, PA 15
min quad map showing the location of the Edri Mines, Edri, Conemaugh Township,
Indiana Co., PA
(Map courtesy of the of U.S.Geological Survey, Washington, D.C.)
Edri was founded as a canal town on the Pennsylvania Mainline Canal, sometime between 1827 and 1882. After 1882 the Western Pennsylvania Railroad used the canal right-a-way.
The J. W. Smith Brothers & Company opened the Edri drift Mine into the Pittsburg Coal Seam in the Elders Ridge coal field in ca.1901, but the mine was not finished and still had not installed a ventilation system. A narrow-gauge railroad and an incline plane along Robinson Run [Sulphur Run] carried the coal from the mine to the river and the Western Pennsylvania Railroad at Edri, where a tipple was located. The Foster Mines used this same route to the Rairoad loading tipple. In ca.1901 the Edri Mine employed only 6 miners and 3 workers outside the mine and produced only 45 tons of coal in ca.1901.
By ca.1905 the Edri Coal Company, a subsidiary of the Foster Coal & Mining Company, owned the Edri Mines and the nearby Foster Mines.
In ca.1908, the Saltsburg Coal Company's Foster mines employed 377 men and produced over 230,000 tons of coal. The nearby Edri Mines of the Saltsburg Coal Company subsidiary Edri Coal Company produced 41,000 tons of coal in 1908, with seventy-five men and boys.
By ca.1914, there were three drift mines, Foster No. 1 Mine,
Foster No 2 Mine, and Foster No. 3 Mine, as well as the mines at Edri.
Total production of the Foster Mines now exceeded 421,000 tons of
|The above picture of the miners and mule drivers was identified as being taken Sept. 30, 1908 at Edri No. 10 Mine, Edri, Conemaugh Township, Indiana Co., PA|
|"Coal Miners Memorial,
Edri, Conemaugh Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania"
the Foster Mines,
Foster, Conemaugh Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Indiana County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Indiana County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Indiana County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Indiana County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company