|Dixon No. 1 Mine
Located on the New York Central Railroad, along Dixon Run, north of Dixonville, along PA Rt. SR1035, Idamar, Green Twp., Indiana Co., PA
[Located on the U.S.G.S. 7 1/2 min. Clymer, PA quad map.]
[UTM: E. 17 E.668675 - N.4510300]
Owners: (ca.1905-1916), Dixon Coal Company
(ca.1916- ? ), Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp.
(ca. 1917- ? ), Idamar Coal Company, Indiana, PA [Leased the mines.]
(ca.1930's- ? ), Empire Coal Mining Company, [Leased the mines.]
|A portion of the U.S.G.S. Clymer, PA 7 1/2 min. quad Map showing Idamar and the Cherry Tree & Dixonville Railroad, of the New York Central Railroad spure line from Dixonville to Idamar, Green Township, Indiana Co., PA. (Courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, D.C.)|
|A portion of the Pennsylvania Game Commission
map showing Idamar and the Cherry Tree & Dixonville Railroad, of the
New York Central Railroad spur line from Dixonville to Idamar, Green
Township, Indiana Co., PA. Postions of this railroad line were later acquired
by the R. J. Corman Railroad Company.
(Courtesy of the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Harrisburg, PA)
Idamar, a coal company patch town in Green Township, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, was established in ca.1907. Only a few houses remain from the once properous coal patch town of Idamar, Pennsylvania. Three houses in the Dixon Run Valley north of Dixonville, together with another burned-out house, and various foundation holes remain to mark the location of this once active mining village ca.1993.
The typical surviving house is a two-story balloon-frame construction wooden structure. Resting on a stone foundation, it is topped by a side-gable composition shingle roof. A one-story shed section at the rear may have been an original feature, otherwise, it is an enclosed porch. Short shed type porches on the front have been enclosed on all three houses in the main part of the village. Also present from the coal mining era at Idamar is a ca.1906 deck girder bridge across Dixon Run from the New York Central Railroad tracks which served the several mines in the area; the tracks have been removed for salvage for some time.
Idamar was built by a coal company controlled by J. Heil Weaver, and named for his daughters Ida and Mary. The Weaver and Coleman coal family interests acquired coal lands in the area of Green Township, Indiana County in ca.1905 and ca.1906, and leased them to the Dixon Coal Company, which opened a mine here.
The Dixon No. 1 Mine, had a wood frame tipple, tile power house, tile motor barn, sand house, fan house, machine supply house, blacksmith shop, mine office and a barn and corn crib for the mine's mules. Coal was mined from the Lower Freeport "D" seam.
The company houses included fifty board-and-batten frame single story houses, twenty-four weatherboarded frame two-story houses, a ten-room superintendent's house, and two existing farm houses. Today, only a few of the two-story frame miners houses survive.
Idamar was once a substantial town, with a coal company store, ice house, tavern, New York Central railroad station, four groceries, a post office, established ca.1908, and a concert band. Electric power for the mine and town was supplied, via a transmission line from the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corporation's powerhouse at Barr Slope, located south of Dixonville. By ca.1908 production totalled nearly 199,000 tons of coal dug by 254 employees. By ca.1912, 500 men and boys were employed in the mines. In ca.1914, however, only twenty-one men were working at the mine; the mine was shut down for a while and had just been reopened.
In ca.1916, the property was sold to the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corporation, which then leased it to the Idamar Coal Company. After a short while, the property was leased to the Empire Coal Mining Company. Coal production began to taper off after World War I, and by the late 1920's it only operated on a spradic basis. By ca.1930, most of the miners houses had been razed or moved to other coal patch locations. The mines shut down after the early 1930's. By ca.1950, only six houses remained in Idamar, and only four, one in ruins, were located in ca.1993.
(History and description of the Idamar Mines, adapted from "Indiana County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1993," America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)
Memorial, Dixon No. 1 Mine,
Idamar, Green Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Indiana County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Indiana County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Indiana County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Indiana County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company