|Aultman No. 3 Mine
(Jacksonville No. 3 Mine) (ca.1910- ? ),
Located on the Jacksonville Branch of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway, Aultman, Center Twp., Indiana Co., PA
[Company Store was called Jefferson Supply Company.]
[Located on the USGS 7 1/2 min Quad map: McIntyre, PA.]
[UTM: E. 17 647200 - N. 4491700.]
Owners: (ca.1910- ? ), Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company
(ca.1917- ? ), Jefferson & Clearfield Coal & Iron Company, Indiana, PA
[A subsidary of Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company.]
(ca.1920- ? ), Jefferson & Clearfield Coal & Iron Company, Indiana, PA
Aultman No. 4 Mine
Aultman No. 5 Mine
Aultman No. 6 Mine
|A map of the Jacksonville Coal Field, showing
the Jacksonville Branch of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway
line from the Ridge Branch to the Jacksonville Mines at McIntyre, Aultman
and the Coal Run Branch to the Coal Run Mines.
(Map courtesy of Eileen Mountjoy Cooper, formerly of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, copied from Cooper's book "Rochester &: Pittsburgh Coal Company: The First Hundred Years." ca.1982)
Aultman in Center Township, Indiana County, Pennsylvania is a coal company patch town with approximately ninety original miners' houses surviving on the town's two parallel streets and southeastward extension. The town is located up Aultman's Run, a small branch run from which the town takes its name, from the abandoned Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Comany Jacksonville Mines complex.
The typical single house is a two-story gable front structure, resting on a raised concrete block foundation and topped by a slate roof. The weatherboarded frame buildings have one-story shed porches across the front and one-story shed extensions, possibly enclosed porches, at the rear. Many in the town have been altered somewhat by additions or by replacement of the original siding.
Some of the larger houses in the comminity are of brick tile construction, with weather boarded gable fields, small shed porches over the entries, and chimneys on the side wall. The buidings are also oriented with the gable front towards the street. The double family houses are of frame construction with side-gable roofs and concrete block foundations, one-story shed porches across the front, and rear one-story shed wings.
The former mine office is located at 519 4th Street in Aultman. It is a small one-story brick structure, of square plan topped by a hipped roof with exposed purlins, with a half-hipped porch supported by three square posts. Windows are double-hung sash with 6/6 lights. A shed dormer has been removed. The office has been converted to a private residence.
The Aultman Mine Complex
|Aultman Mines complex, powerhouse and machine shop building
(Photo by Richard Quin, courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, National Park Service, Washington, D.C.)
|An undated photo one of the Aultman Mines coal loading
tipples on the Jacksonville Branch of the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg
Railway The tipple the torn down after the Aultman Mines were
(Courtesy of the Special Collections Section, IUP Library, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA)
The coal company patch town of Aultman in southwestern Center Township, two miles from Jacksonville, was established in ca.1912 by the Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company as the company expanded its mining operations into the Jacksonville coal field. The Hyde-Murphy Company was awarded the contract to build an initial fifty miners houses. A detached row of ten houses, a half mile southeast separate from the main town of Aultman, were built for the men who worked at the Jacksonville No. 5 Mine, the houses were known locally as the "Ten Commandments." More than one hundred houses were eventually built in Aultman, almost all of which remain.
A railroad spur from the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway, Ridge Branch reached the town of Aultman in December, 1912.
By ca.1916 the annual production of coal from the Aultman Mines was 462,142 tons of coal shipped by rail from the tipples.
The coal patch town of Aultman in the late 1920's covered 187 acres, had 41 double family houses, 82 single family houses, a doctor's office, community hall, and two mine foreman's houses. The mines had a daily capacity of 2,000 tons of coal and a yearly capacity of 500,000 tons of coal.
The first two mines at Aultman were first named Jacksonville No. 3 Mine and Jacksonville No. 4 Mine; Jacksonville No. 5 Mine was opened to the south along Aultman's Run, and Jacksonville No. 6 Mine was nearby.
Coal production at the Aultman mines peaked in ca.1928, with
2,000 tons of coal being mined daily. The mine complex was considerable,
with an enormous building that housed a power plant and machine shop, and
the largest tipple in the Jacksonville Coal Field. However, the mines
shut down only a year or two later. Some surface mining, strip mining,
has been done in recent years, and a couple of ne drift mines were opearting
ca.1990 a mile or so away.
Miners Memorial, Jacksonville Mines
Aultman, Center Twp., Indiana County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Indiana County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Indiana County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Indiana County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Indiana County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company