Mine buggy - Virtual Museum of Coal Mining in Western Pennsylvania
Virtual Museum of Coal Mining in Western Pennsylvania

Digital Coal Research Library
The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania
Links to:
History of the Leckrone Mines & Coke Works, Leckrone, Fayette Co., PA


Coal Miners Memorial Leckrone Mines & Coke Works, Leckrone, Fayette Co., PA


Coal Mines of Fayette Co., PA MAIN INDEX
Coal Mines of Allegheny Co., PA MAIN INDEX
Coal Mines of Indiana Co., PA MAIN INDEX
Coal Mines of Westmoreland Co., PA MAIN INDEX
Coal Mines of Washington Co., PA MAIN INDEX
Map of H.C.Frick Coke Co. Mines
Map of West Penn System Light Power Railway
In Association with Amazon.com Check here for books
on coal mining
Leckrone No. 1,
Coal Company Patch Town,
Leckrone No. 2,
Coal Company Patch Town,

Leckrone No. 1 & Leckrone No. 2,
German Twp.,
Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

A Tribute to the Coal Miners that mined the
Bituminous Coal seams of the Leckrone Mines, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Compiled & Edited by
Raymond A. Washlaski

Raymond A. Washlaski, Historian, Editor,
Ryan P. Washlaski, Technical Editor,

Updated Sept. 29, 2008

Search our Web Sites total data base!
Enter a Miner's last Name, Coal Mine Name, or Coal Company Name.
 A single name works best.
powered by FreeFind

(This Page Still Underconstruction)

Leckrone No. 1, Coal Company Patch Town (ca.1899-  ?  ),
Located on Rt. T 383 and Rt. T 386, off of PA Rt. SR 3013, about 3 miles east of where PA Rt. 21 crosses the Monongahela River, Leckrone No. 1, German Twp., Fayette Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1889-1902), Eureka Fuel Company,
              (ca.1902-   ?  ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA
              (ca.1905-   ?  ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA
              (ca.1919-   ?  ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA

Leckrone No. 2, Coal Company Patch Town (ca.1899-  ?  ),
Located along Rt. T 389, and Rt. T 382, north of PA Rt. 3012, 1 1/2 miles east of the intersection of PA Rt. SR 3012 and PA Rt. 21, Leckrone No. 2, German Twp., Fayette Co., PA.
Owners: (ca.1889-1902), Eureka Fuel Company,
              (ca.1902-   ?   ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA
              (ca.1905-   ?   ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA
              (ca.1919-   ?   ), H. C. Frick Coke Company, Scottdale, PA

DESCRIPTION:
Leckrone No. 1, Coal Company Patch Town:
About thirty double-family houses line the street of the coal company patch town, Leckrone No. 1, which is on the side of a hill that slopes gently from east to west, just south of the former Leckrone Coke Works and Leckrone Mine site.  In general, the houses south of Rt. SR3013 have been more substantially altered with aluminum siding, shutters, or new roofing, while those to the north display more of the town's original fabric and include a number of extant outhouses as well.  All of these semi-detached houses are gable-ended four-bay wood-frame structures.

Two Mt. Zion Baptist Churches stand on a semi-circular road also just north of PA SR 3013.  The earlier structure of the two, dating to ca.1922, is a simple gable-roofed structure of cast-stone with multi-paned casement windows and double brick voussoirs; it appeared to be abandoned ca.1990.  Immediately to the west is a similarly simple, larger aluminum sided church building on a stretcher-bond brick foundation; this appears to be the building currently used by the congregation and probably dates to the 1940's.

About one-quarter of a mile north of Leckrone No. 1 on Rt. T 710 there are three coal company community building extant.  The stretcher-bond red brick Leckrone post office and superintendent's building is on the west side of the road.  Roughly square in plan, it rests on a coursed-stone foundation, has a flat roof and three arched openings with double voussoirs on its front, a central doorway and flanking pairs of one-over one-light, double-hung sash windows.

Across the street is the six-bay, two-story common-bond red brick coal company store.  This structure also has a flat roof, but includes more decorative brick work with three pilasters, corbelling, and corbelled arches above its second-story windows.  A common-bond yellow brick ice house addition adjoins the store on its north side.

Two mine buildings, a square, hipped-roofed, common-bond red brick structure on a coursed ashlar fopundation, possibly the boiler house, and a larger, brick and corrugated-metal, gable-roofed building with multipane casement windows, are extant northwest of Leckrone No. 1 between the town and the company store building.

HISTORY:
Leckrone Mine & Coke Works
The Leckrone No. 1 Mine & Coke Works was placed in operation in 1889 by the Eureka Fuel Company, a subsidiary of Illinois Steel Company.  The H. C. Frick Coke Company operated the mines after January 31, 1902, and acquired the mines through a take over and buy out of the Eureka Fuel Company, on March 28, 1903.  

The Leckrone Company Store, located halfway between the Leckrone No. 1 patch and Leckrone No. 2 patch, and some coal company houses were constructed prior to the H.C. Frick Coke Company taking over the mines, the bulk of the coal company housing at Leckrone No. 1 and Leckrone No. 2 was built after ca.1901.  Most coal company houses were constructed in 1902, when the H.C. Frick Coke Company built seventy-five double houses and twenty-four single houses.  Abut 35 percent of these dwellings were built at Leckrone No. 1 and 30 percent at Leckrone No. 2 and the remainder in small clusters near the coke plant but separate from the main coal company patches.

In 1903 the H.C. Frick Coke Company employed 562 miners at the Leckrone Mines, 214 of whom were engaged at the Leckrone Coke Plants.  

In April, 1922, the Leckrone operations were among the first four coal plants in the Connellsville Coke Region to shut down during the national coal miners strike of 1922.

(History and description of Leckrone, adapted from "Fayette County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1990,"  America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

St. Mary's R.C. Church, Leckrone, PA
Before St. Mary's Church at Leckrone was established, Father Aurelius Stehle, O.S.B., who was later to become the Archabbot of St. Vincent Archabby, in Latrobe, PA had been celebrating Mass at various places in this community.

On June 16, 1902, Father William J. Drum came as the first resident priest.  It is interesting to note that when Father Drum was sent to establish a parish here, his assignment read "Masontown District", and the church was then known as St. Columbkill and not as Our Lady or Perpetual Help.  It was only at the later date that the church was referred to as the Lady of Perpetual Help, or more conveniently St. Mary's. When the parish was established there were only three churches in this area: St. Peter's, Brownsville, Pa; St. John's, Uniontown, Pa; and St. Thomas, Footedale, Pa.  The H. C. Frick Coke Company donated a plot of land for a church building, where St. Mary's Cemetery is presently located. The first church, a frame structure was built there.  The corner stone was laid in 1903, and on October 9, 1904 Bishop Richard Phelan of the Diocese of Pittsburgh dedicated the first church.  This original church was destroyed by fire December 5, 1907.  The H. C. Frick Coke Company donated another parcel of land to the parish and a new wooden building was constructed near the site of the present church.  In 1907, St. Mary's also acquired a Mission Church at Gates, Pa where Mass was celebrated every Sunday. The present church building was constructed by parishioners and the cornerstone was laid August 7, 1910.

Nadrone Spolak, National Slovak Society Chapter in Leckrone.
From an interview with Caroline Kucan.

"Somebody came from Pittsburgh.  I don't know.  This person went around to all the patches to try to get people together to join a fraternal organization, and whenever they heard it was Slovak, they all agreed and signed up for it.  I don't know the year, it was before I was born.  When we lived at Leckrone, he [her father] staryed the Nadrone Spolak, the National Slovak Society Chapter in Leckrone.  Paul Kucan [her father] was the president, Uncle John Nestarec, he was there too, cause we all lived there... Steve Vrabel and Joseph Bohunicky.  Primarily the purpose of these organizations was to support the members in sickness and distress and provide them with a decent burial and their families with a much needed death benefit in event of death.  It was mostly to protect the women and children because the men worked in the mine and on the coke ovens, and they were working real hard.  There were a lot of widows left behind then..."
(Extract from "Common Lives of Uncommon Strength:  The Women of the Coal and Coke Era of Southwestern Pennsylvania 1880 - 1970."  by Evelyn A. Hovanec, available from the Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State University Fayette Campus, Uniontown, PA.)

A company street in the Leckrone, a coal company patch town, ca.1910, showing the double miners' houses, with the white washed fences and newly planted trees, in the little wood boxes,  in front of the houses.
(Photo courtesy of Harry & Bonnie Minor)

An H. C. Frick Coke Company photo of a street in Leckrone, ca.1912.
(Photo courtesy of the USX Resource Managment Division, Uniontown, PA,  & The Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State Fayette Campus, Uniontown, PA.)

Photo of Harry and Olive Bush, taken ca.June 1909, at Leckrone, near Masontown, Fayette County.  Harry was a baseball player on the H. C. Frick Coke Company Leckrone Mine Baseball team.
(Photo courtesy of Harry & Bonnie Minor.)

"History of the Leckrone Mines & Coke Works,
Leckrone, German Twp., Fayette County, Pennsylvania"
"Coal Miners Memorial, Leckrone Mines & Coke Works,
Leckrone, German Twp., Fayette County, Pennsylvania"

Support the Coal & Coke Heritage Center, a non-profit research center and museum.
Want to know more about the women who lived in the coal patch towns?  You need this book.  One of the few studies done on the women of the coal & coke era.
Common lives of Uncommon Strength:
The Women of the Coal & Coke Era of Southwestern Pennsylvania 1880-1970
Complied, written and edited by: Evelyn A. Hovanec, PhD
Voices of the women tell unique stores of the coal and coke era, plus vintage photographs, documents, maps, and newspaper articles.  Hardcover $35.00  Soft cover $25.00  Add $5.00 shipping / handling.
Send Check or money order to:
Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State University Fayette Campus
P.O. Box 519, Uniontown, PA  15401

To Select another Index
to Fayette County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
Select another Index to Fayette County Mines


or
Go to Top of Page

Select another Index to Coal Mines of Fayette County, Pennsylvania
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Local History Sites
Links to other coal mining sites
Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook for questions Have information to add on Fayette County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
View the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
Sign the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Guestbook by GuestWorld

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Mercers, an Undertakers Business - Web Productions If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal Mines of Fayette County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor

Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company