|Delmont No. 1 Mine
Located on the Turtle Creek Valley Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, 1 1/2 miles east of Export, 2 1/2 mile west of Delmont, north of the old William Penn Highway (old US Rt. 22), White Valley, Franklin Township, Westmoreland Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1910-1919) New York & Cleveland Gas Coal Company, Pittsburgh, PA
(ca.1919-1923) Pittsburgh Coal Company, Pittsburgh, PA
(ca.1923-1930's) Pittsburgh Gas Coal Company, Indiana, PA
(ca.1945- ? ) Manordale Gas & Oil Company
Delmont No. 2 Mine
Delmont No. 3 Mine (ca. 1910-1930's),
Located on the Turtle Creek Valley Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, 2
1/2 miles east of Export, 1 1/2 miles west of Delmont, south of the old William
Penn Highway (old US Rt.22), White Valley, Franklin Township, Westmoreland
Delmont No. 4 Mine (ca.
Two buildings, located on the north side of the old William Penn Highway, remain from the Delmont mines at White Valley. One of these buildings served as a powerhouse and motor barn, it was built ca.1910. It contains red-brick, common-bond walls, measures approximately 100ft. x 50ft., it has double gable roofs of slate, and rest on a concrete foundation. Steel Fink roof trusses are supported on brick pilasters. To the east on a hill overlooking the powerhouse and motor barn is a one-story brick buiding, which now serves as a residence. This structure was originally built by the New York & Cleveland Gas Coal Company to serve as a machine shop.
On the hillside behind the machine shop building, in what is now a Township park, are the remains of a large slate dump (Boney Dump), which was associated with the Delmont No. 2 Mine.
Dunnington consists of approximately twenty-five company-built houses. The company store burned, and no structures relating to the mining complex are extant. The residences are two-story wood-frame double houses. Many retain their original double brick chimneys and multi-light double-hung sash windows.
|DESCRIPTION - Ringertown:|
|DESCRIPTION - White Valley:|
|Delmont No. 1 Mine
The tipple and powerhouse of Delmont No. 1 Mine, White Valley, Franklin Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA
|Delmont No. 2 Mine
A mine locomotive used in the Delmont No. 2 Mine, White Valley, Franklin Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA
In 1910, in the midst of a long and hard-fought strike of coal miners in northern Westmoreland County, the New York and Cleveland Gas Coal Company opened the four Delmont Mines, along the Turtle Creek Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, east of Export, Franklin Twp. The Delmont Mines were situated on the 68 inch-thick Pittsburgh Coal seam. The New York and Cleveland Gas Coal Company was a subsidiary of the Pittsburgh Coal Company and operated the Duquesne Mine, the Plum Creek Mine, the Sandy Creek Mine and the Oak Hill Mines, all in Allegheny County, and the Delmont Mines and Lyons Run Mine in Westmoreland County.
The striking miners at Delmont Mines demanded that the coal company pay them the prevailing union wages that most of the larger mining concerns in the Pittsburgh district observed. In addition, the coal miners sought to organize with the United Mine Workers Union, a move the anti-union, anti-workers, New York & Cleveland Gas Coal Company and its largest stock holder the Pittsburgh Coal Company adamantly opposed. The coal company's were only for making money for their well-to-do stock holders, without regard for their workers.
The New York & Cleveland Gas Coal Company made the folowing improvements to the Delmont MineMines in 1910: Built onenew power plant house at the slope, and installed two 300 horse power boilers, one jeffrey fan 6ft. X 14ft. and finished a new tipple. Started to ship coal December 10, 1910.
The company operated the Delmont Mines only nineteen days in 1910 with a work force of ninty-eight men and boys, employed as "Scabs", produced 6,400 tons of coal.
R. B. McDowell served as superintendent at Delmont Mines during this tumultuous period.
The New York & Cleveland Gas Coal Company and the other major coal operator the the area, Westmoreland Coal Company, defeated the striking coal miners after a sixteen month-long strike. The coal companies employed the "Coal & Iron Police" during the coal strike and locked out the coal miners from their house and the coal company property. Some of the miners and their families left the area during the strike, while others were "blackballed" or "blacklisted" by the coal companies and were unable to find employment in the county's mines. The unsuccessful action by the coal miners marked the continuation os a non-union period that would continue into the early 1930's.
By 1914 the New York and Cleveland Gas Coal Company employed 746 men and boys at its Delmont Mines, which was the largest of the company's operations. During the mid-to-late-1910's the mines produced between 500,000 and 800,000 tons of coal each year. Hugh Dunning served as te company superintendent at Delmont Mines during these boom years. Although production declined somewhat after World War I, the Delmont Mines continued as one of the county's largest producers.
By 1921 the Pittsburgh Coal Company assumed control of the Delmont property and was soon confronted with another long and bitter miners strike. This coal strike, which occurred in 1922,was much larger that the 1910 strike and involved many of the mine workers in the nation's bituminous coal fields. Despite this widespread action by the coal miners, the Pittsburgh Coal Company kept the Delmont Mines running for nearly half the year in 1922, using imported "scabs."
By 1923 the workers' attempt to gain union recognition has again failed and, soon after, production at the Delmont Mines was reaching wartime levels.
In 1923 just three of the Delmont Mine, No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, were operating, No. 4 Mine having been worked out. The company employed 459 persons and they produced 615,000 tons of coal. The Pittsburgh Coal Company ceased operating the Delmont Mines in the early 1930's.
In 1945 the property containing the powerhouse, motor barn and shops was purchased by the Manordale Gas & Oil Company which renovated the powerhouse, motor barn for use as a repair garage and office. This firm also owned a bus company, the Kepple Coach Lines, which it operated from White Valley. In 1983 the Manordale interests leased the old Pittsburgh Coal Property to the A. J. Meyers & Sons, Inc., owners of a bus line. This concern, ca.1994, continues to use the powerhouse, motor barn as a bus garage and office.
| "Coal Miners
Memorial, Delmont Mines,
White Valley, Franklin Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Westmoreland County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook for questions||Have
information to add on Westmoreland County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Westmoreland County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company