|Moravian Mine (ca.1904- ?
), located on the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad, near
Peale, Clearfield Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1904- ? ), Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp., Clearfield, PA
(ca.1906- ? ), Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp., Clearfield, PA
|A portion of the Phillipsburg 15min. topo. quad map ca.1922,
showing the location of Peale and some of the mines in the area. Peale
as a town does not exist today. It is another coal mining ghost town
in western Pennsylvania.
(Map courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, D.C.)
The Clearfield Progress archives contain a couple of articles on the "Ghost Town of Peale". Peale was once a coal company town of over 200 buildings erected by the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Company in the early 1880's. However, around the turn of the century, the coal mines were exhausted. The town existed for a few more years as the occupants continued to mine clay for making bricks. But then in the early 1900's, the whole town, every house, church, school house, and store were loaded onto railroad cars and transported to other locations. The former town of Peale, in Cooper Township, Clearfield County, is today nothing more than a wooded bank beside the Red Moshannon Creek. The only thing left behind was one frame building and a cemetery in which just one marker survives today.
Description of Town of Peale excerpted from article written by the late George A. Scott, who in turn was quoting from an article published in The Raftsman's Journal of Clearfield, August 20, 1885. "The One Time Metropolis of Peale" by George A. Scott, The Clearfield Progress, Feb 26, 1992, page 4:
" ... The town is built on a hill, at the base of which is Moravian Run, a branch of the Moshannon. It is divided into two parts by a small stream which runs into Moravian Run. The place is laid out with all the regularity of a city. Down in the ravine at the foot of the town are the slaughter houses, while all the stables in the place drain into the little steam which runs through the center. Far up above this on Moravian Run a dam has been built where ice is cut in the winter and stored in a house close by. A reservoir is on top of the hill back of town and distributing mains convey pure water into every street and from there to every house in the place."
"The houses are all two story frame buildings, painted brick red. They are wainscotted to a height of about four feet from the floor and are plastered throughout. They contain three rooms on the first floor and two or three on the second, with the necessary outbuildings. They are rented at from $4.25 to $6.25 per month, including water. Altogether they are the most comfortable miner's cabins seen throughout Clearfield County ... The rent is not high for a man earning $9 to $12 per week and is about what is charged for houses in other towns."
"The only store in the place is owned by the coal company. It is one long room, perhaps 100 by 400 feet, and everything is sold there that a man would likely to use. Liquor is the exception, as nothing intoxicating is sold in the place. An account is kept with each miner's family and once a month the books are balanced."
"There is an Episcopal church in the village and a town hall, which is used as a place of worship by the Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran societies. There is a chief of police but his duties are merely nominal, as no one is ever arrested. There is no jail. At present the town is without hotel accommodations, but the erection of a house of entertainment is contemplated. ..."
|The Clearfield Progress
December 15, 1913
Shooting Affair Near Drifting
Joe Hemmis Severely Wounds Daniel Fullmer
Was Result of A Quarrel
Fullmer is Said to Have Attacked Hemmis, and the Latter Sent a
bullet Through Fullmer's Left Lung--Hemmis is In Jail, and Fullmer is
Expected to Get Well.
Joe Hemmis, a coal miner residing between Grassflat and Drifting is in the county jail, charged with shooting Daniel Fullmer, in a quarrel Saturday evening.
The story of the shooting, so far as can be learned, is as follows: Joseph Hemmis, Daniel Fullmer and two other young men of the Fullmer family were employed as miners of the colliery of the Clearfield Bituminous Coal company. For some time bad blood has existed between those parties, and on Thursday evening Hemmis and Daniel engaged in a quarrel, but without serious results.
The Quarrel Renewed.
Saturday evening early the four men left the mine on their way to their homes. The quarrel was resumed, Daniel evidently being determined to fight with Hemmis. When the men reached a point near what is known as the Cooper picnic ground where the men were to part, Daniel Fullmer is alleged to have taken his mine auger in his hands and rushed at Hemmis, his inteention being to strike Hemmis. Hemmis evaded the thrust and pulling his revolver fired at Daniel, the bullet entering his breast and penetrating his lung. The wounded man was cared for and Dr. Spikeman, of Peale, attended him.
A warrant was issued by Justice of the Peace Howe, at Grass Flat, and Hemmis was arrested by Constable Devinney, who took him as far as Winburne, where he turned him over to Justice of the Peace H. L. Jones, clerk to County
Treasurer Wrigley, who was on his way to Clearfield, after visiting his home in Cooper township. Mr. Jones brought Hemmis to the county jail on the 9 o'clock train Sunday evening. Hemmis is about 19 years of age and has borne a pretty good reputatuon. Fullmer is 30 years old and is said to have been of a quarrelsom disposition.
Dr. Spikeman, of Peale, who attended Fullmer this morning stated to the Progress this afternoon that although Fullmer had been shot through the left lung, he is getting along well and that unless blood poisoning develops the wounded man will get well. The doctor stated that there was no prospect of the man dying from the wound inflicted by young Hemmis.
Joseph Hemmis is the son of Matthew Hemmis, and resides at Drifting.
|A traced map of the former Coal Company Patch Town of Peale from a draftsman's plat which is in the hands of the owners of Charlemaine's restaurant on Hwy 53 at Grassflats turnoff. The old graveyard is seen on right and below, Morvian Run emptying into Red Moshannon Creek. "S" and "O" in middle of town indicate respectively, the company Store and office. "sch" = school. Moshannon creek flows to the right in northerly direction and empties into West branch of Susuquehanna River.|
|An Alphabetical Index to the Coal Mines
& Coal Companies
of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwest Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Clearfield County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Clearfield County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company