Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Mine buggy - Virtual Museum of Coal mining in Western Pennsylvania
Virtual Museum of Coal Mining in Western Pennsylvania

Digital Coal Research Library
The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania
Links to:
Return to the Main County Index of Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines


Coal Miners Memorial Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine, St. Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA


Coal Mines of Cambria Co., PA MAIN INDEX

Links to More Local History Web Sites
Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine,
Coleman Shaft Mine,

St. Michael,
Croyle Twp.,
Cambria County,
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

A Memorial to the Coal Miners that mined the Bituminous Coal seams of the Maryland Shaft Mine, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Compiled & Edited by
Raymond A. Washlaski

Raymond A. Washlaski, Historian, Editor,
Ryan P. Washlaski, Technical Editor,

Updated Dec. 6, 2009

Search our web sites total data base!
Enter a Miner's last name, Coal Mine name, or Coal Company Name.  A single name works best.
powered by FreeFind

Coleman Shaft Mine (ca.1910-  ?  ),
Located on the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, at St. Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1910-  ?  ), Maryland Shaft Company of Pennsylvania, New York, NY
[A pick & machine shaft mine, mining the Miller Coal Vein, thickness 4ft..  Daily capacity 2000 tons of coal.  Trade name "Coleman Shaft."]
[This could also be the Maryland Shaft Mine No. 1.]

Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine (ca.1908-  ?  ),
Located on the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, at St. Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA

The Shaft was located southwest of PA Rt.869, .95 miles southeast of US Rt.219, east of the railroad tracks, in St. Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA.
[USGS 7 1/2 min. Quad: Geistown, PA. (1:24000)  UTM:  17 E.689600  N. 4467010]
Owners: (ca.1908-  ?  ), Maryland Coal Company, Baltimore, MD
              (ca.1917-  ?  ), Maryland Coal Company of Pennsylvania, St.Michael, PA
              (ca.1920-  ?  ), Maryland Coal Company of Pennsylvania, St.Michael, PA
              (ca. 1945-1958), Berwind-White Coal Mining Company, Philadelphia, PA
[Disasters - 1920 Aug. 9 , 1920, Maryland Shaft, Maryland Coal Co. of Penna. St. Michael, PA, 6 miners were killed by mine cars.]
[A great small coal mining museum to visit, is the "Maryland Shaft Coal Miners Memorial Museum," that is run by Croyle Township and Summerhill Township, is:
"Coal Miners Memorial Museum," Maryland Shaft, St. Michaels, Pennsylvania  15951
The museum doesn't have a Web Site, but is a great little Coal Mining Museum to visit during the summer months.]

DESCRIPTION:
The Maryland Shaft Mine wash house, coal company store, a two-story brick building, and most of the coal company built housing are the only surviving structures in St. Michael, Croyle Township, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, that were built by the Maryland Coal Company of Pennsylvania.

The Wash House contains yellow-brick walls with brick pilasters, and riveted-steel Pratt roof-trusses.  Decorative details include corbelled brick work along the gable ends, and a bull's-eye window.  After Berwind-White Coal Mining Company closed and abandoned the Maryland Shaft Mine No. 1, in ca.1958, the wash house was sold to Samco, Inc., which continued to use the building for many years.

HISTORY:
The Maryland Coal Company of Pennsylvania sank the Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine near the site of the long-abandoned South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club in ca.1908.  When it opened that year the shaft extended 670ft. below the surface, the deepest of all th4e bituminous coal mines in Pennsylvania.  In Addition to the mine shaft and colliery, the Maryland Coal Company built a store, bank, and a number of wood-frame houses, all of which evolved into the town of St. Michael.

In ca.1932 the Berwind-White Coal Mining Company acquired the holdings of the Maryland Coal Company or Pennsylvania.  Berwind-White continued to operate the Maryland Shaft Mine under the name of the Maryland Coal Company.  The coal company also purchased the site of the infamous South Fork Dam, the remains of which impounded water for use at the Maryland Shaft Mine.  Berwind-White Coal Mining Company closed the Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine in ca.1958.  In ca,1968 the coal company donated 37 acres of land, including the South Fork Dam site to the Cambria County Historical Society.  The land was then given to the National Park Service and designated a National Historic Site as a memorial to the 1889 Johnstown Flood.

The coal company patch town of St. Michael, located across the valley from the Maryland Shaft Mine No. 1.
(photo by Chris Dellamea.  Courtesy of Chris Dellamea and his web site www.coalcampusa.com.)

The double family houses in the coal company patch town of St. Michael, located across the valley from the Maryland Shaft Mine No. 1.
(photo by Chris Dellamea.  Courtesy of Chris Dellamea and his web site www.coalcampusa.com.)

Coal Miners checks and Coal Company Store script from the Maryland Shaft Mine.

Coal Miners Memorial Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine,
St. Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA

To Select another Index
to Cambria County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
Select another Index to Cambria County Mines


or
Go to Top of Page

Select another Index to the Coal Mines of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines

Local History Sites
Links to other coal mining sites
Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook.  Email the Editor. Have information to add on Cambria County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
View the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
Sign the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Guestbook by GuestWorld

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Mercers, an Undertakers Business - Web Productions If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal Mines of Cambria County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor

Copyright 2005, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company