Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Mine buggy - Virtual Museum of Coal mining in Western Pennsylvania
Virtual Museum of Coal Mining in Western Pennsylvania

Digital Coal Research Library
The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania
Links to:
Return to the Main County Index of Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines


Coal Mines of Cambria Co., PA MAIN INDEX

Links to More Local History Web Sites
Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine
(Summerhill Mine),
Wilmore,
Summerhill Twp.,
Cambria County,
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

A Memorial to the Coal Miners that mined the Bituminous Coal seams of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Compiled & Edited by
Raymond A. Washlaski

Raymond A. Washlaski, Historian, Editor,
Ryan P. Washlaski, Technical Editor,

Updated Sept. 3, 2010

Search our web sites total data base!
Enter a Miner's last name, Coal Mine name, or Coal Company Name.  A single name works best.
powered by FreeFind

Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine
(Summerhill Mine)
(ca.1945-1961),
Located on the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, 1 mile south of Wilmore, east of PA Rt.160, Wilmore vicinity, Cambria Co., PA

[USGS 7 1/2 min. Quad: Beaverdale, PA. (1:24000)  UTM:  17 E.693750  N. 4471580]
Owners: (ca. 1945-1961), Wilmore Coal Company,  a subsidiary of Berwind-White Coal Mining Company, Philadelphia, PA

             (ca.1961-1970's), Bethlehehem Mines Corporation
                                        [Bethlehem Steel renamed Maryland Shaft No.2 Mine Summerhill Mine.]
[A great small coal mining museum to visit, is the "Maryland Shaft Coal Miners Memorial Museum," that is run by Croyle Township and Summerhill Township, is:
"Coal Miners Memorial Museum," Maryland Shaft, St. Michaels, Pennsylvania  15951
The museum doesn't have a Web Site, but is a great little Coal Mining Museum to visit during the summer months.]

A portion of the USGS 15min. Ebensburg, PA Quad Map ca.1904 and the USGS 15min. Johnstown, PA Quad Map ca.1907 showing the St. Michael and Wilmore areas of Cambria Co., PA

DESCRIPTION:
Until April, 1988, the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine featured a steel headframe, the only one of its kind in Cambria County, Pennsylvania.  Demolished by its owner, the Berwind Corporation, the headframe was originally fabricated by the Connellsville Manufacturing & Mine Supply Company of Connellsville, Pennsylvania. Although the headframe and tipple, as well as the tall brick smokestack of the power plant, have been razed, the carpenter shop, blacksmith shop and machine shop, wash house, and power plant were still standing ca.1990.  The interiors of these buildings, however, are believed to be largely gutted.  The exterior of these red-brick buildings are lightly ornamented with corneled brick plasters.  The windows and doors, which have concrete lintels, have been covered with sheet metal.

HISTORY:
In 1945 the Wilmore Coal Company, a subdivision of Berwind-White Coal Company, Philadelphia, PA, opened the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, near the town of Wilmore, Summerhill Twp., Cambria Co., PA.  The Maryland Shaff No. 2 Mine was established specifically to produce coal during World War II, it was the deepest bituminous coal shaft mine in Pennsylvania, extending nearly 850 feet below the surface.  Interesting, the nearby Maryland Shaft No. 1 Mine opened by the Maryland Coal Company, at St, Michael, Croyle Twp., Cambria Co., PA was the deepest bituminous coal shaft mine in Pennsylvania prior to the opening of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine.

In addition to the Maryland No. 2 Mine shaft, the colliery contained a tipple, a carpenter shop and blacksmith shop, a wash house, and a power plant, all the buildings were of brick and steel construction.  Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine was served by a spur of the Pennsylvania Railroad.  Berwind-White Coal Mining Company operated the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine until ca.1961, when the Bethlehem Mines Corporation, a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Company, leased the mine.  The mine was closed permanently in ca.1970's and the mine shaft was sealed.

Until April, 1988, the Martland Shaft No. 2 Mine featured a steel headframe, the only one of its kind in Cambria County.  Demolished by its owner, the Berwind Corporati0on, the headframe was originally faricated by the Connellsville Manufacturing & Mine Supply Company of Connellsville, Pennsylvania.  Although the headframe and tipple, as well as the tall brick smoke stack of the power plant, have been razed, the carpenter shop, blacksmith shop, and machine shop, wash house, and the power plant are still standing ca.1990.  The interiors of these buildings, however, are believed to be largely gutted.  The exteriors of these red-brick buildings are lightly ornamented with corbeled brick pilasters.  The windows and doors, which have concrete lintels, have been covered with sheet metal.

(History and description of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, adapted with additional data and pictures from "Blair County and Cambria County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1990,"  America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A photo of the existing Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine buildings, Cambria Co., Pa, ca.1988, showing the Blacksmith Shop to the right and the Carpenter Shop to the left.  Photo was taken from the headframe of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine.  The headframe was demolished in April of 1988.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

Photo of the east facade of the Blacksmith Shop building ca.1988, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Wilmore vicinity, Cambria County, Pennsylvania.   The headframe and mine shaft was located to the west of the blacksmith shop.   The headframe was demolished in April of 1988.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A view of the headframe, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA,  from the east, looking west.  The building beyond the headframe may have been the wash house.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A view of the headrame, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA, looking southeast.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A view of the upper sheave on the headframe, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA, looking southwest.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A view of the upper sheave and lower sheave, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA, from the stairway of the headframe, looking northeast.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A view of the headframe and the mine hoist cars, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA, looking towards the west.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A photo of the air shaft and fan housing, with the headframe and hoist cars, of the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co. PA, looking toward the northeast.
(Photo by Jet Lowe, ca.1988.  Photo courtesy of the America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

A few of the remaining buildings from the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA.
(photo by Chris Dellamea, Mining Historian.  Courtesy of Chris Dellamea and his web site www.coalcampusa.com.)

The coal company patch town of Wilmore, Cambria Co., PA, located across the valley from the Maryland Shaft No. 2 Mine, Cambria Co., PA.
(photo by Chris Dellamea, Mining Historian.  Courtesy of Chris Dellamea and his web site www.coalcampusa.com.)

To Select another Index
to Cambria County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
Select another Index to Cambria County Mines


or
Go to Top of Page

Select another Index to the Coal Mines of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines

Local History Sites
Links to other coal mining sites
Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook.  Email the Editor. Have information to add on Cambria County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
View the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
Sign the
"Old Miner's"
Guestbook
Guestbook by GuestWorld

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Mercers, an Undertakers Business - Web Productions If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal Mines of Cambria County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor

Copyright 2005, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company