|Lancashire No. 15 Mine
(ca. 1917- ? ),
Located on the South Branch of the Susquehanna River, 1.7 miles east of PA Rt. 553 & PA Rt. 271, Bakerton, near the Barr Twp. line, near Bakerton, West Carroll Twp., Cambria Co., PA
[Located on the USGS 7 1/2 min. Colver, PA quad map.]
[UTM: 17 E.689280 N.4498130.]
Owners: (ca.1917- ? ), Barnes & Tucker Company,
(ca.1920- ? ), Barnes & Tucker Company,
Pennsylvania No. 18 Mine (ca.1914-
The oldest extant building of the Lancashire No. 15 Mine and the Pennsylvania No. 18 Mine is a one-story, stone building probably built by the Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Company. Under the half-circle windows at each end of the building a datestone bears the inscription "1917." Barnes & Tucker Company used this building as an electrical repair shop for the mines. It contains stone block-in-course bearing walls and has stone segmental arches above the window openings. The roof is supported by steel Fink trusses and steel-channel purlins. The wooden window frames and doors appear to be original and only a few of the glass panes are broken, ca.1990.
The other extant structure at this site ca.1990, were built by Barnes & Tucker Company. Two brick buildings standing to the east of the electrical repair shop probably date from the 1920's. One of them served as a supply house and the other as a wash house. Both are one-story brick structures with steel roof trusses. The other adjacent building was erected after the Second World War and may have served as a blacksmith shop or machine shop.
In ca.1914 the Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Company opened the Pennsylvania No. 18 Mine near Bakerton, on the South Branch of the Susquehanna River. Six years later Barnes & Tucker Company opened the nearby Lancashire No. 15 Mine. In ca.1926 Barnes & Tucker Company acquired the Pennsylvania No. 18 Mine from the Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Company and operated it in conjunction with the Lancashire No. 15 Mine as one mine.
Lancashire No. 15 Mine last operated in the early 1980's. It is unclear when the Pennsylvania No. 18 Mine was closed, but it probably became another entry for the Lancashire No. 15 Mine.
|Undated photo of the Barnes & Tucker Company
Lancashire No. 15 Mine, loacted at Bakerton, Cambria Co., PA. The sign
reads "Precision Cleaned Coal, LANCASHIRE MINE No.15, 7500 tons Daily
(Photo courtesy of St. Anne Frances Pulling and her book "Images of Northern Cambria." ca.2000.)
|To Select another Index
to Cambria County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Cambria County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Cambria County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2005, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company