|Andrico No. 1 Mine
Located at Andrico Station on the New Alexandria Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, on the Alex Laughlin Farm, north of the Saltsburg Rd. (PA Rt.981), 2 miles north of New Alexandria, Andrico, Derry Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA
[Andrico No. 1 Mine was also called New Alexandria No. 1 Mine]
[Mine was formerly called Richard Mine.]
Owners: (ca.1908-1930's) New Alexandria Coke Company, Greensburg, PA
Company Store: New Alexandria Coal Company Store (ca.1911-1914)
New Alexandria Supply Company (ca.1914-1936)
Andrico No. 2 Mine
Andrico No. 3 Mine
Andrico No. 4 Mine
Andrico No. 5 Mine
Andrico No. 6 Mine
Of the original fifty-two company built houses, company store and two school buildings at Andrico, only five greatly altered double houses are extant. These double houses are two-story wood-frame buildings with gable roofs, double chimneys, and rubble-stone foundations.
A demolished red-brick building with a stone foundation is located on the south side of the road. A two story elevator shaft enclosure is all that remains. This tall two-story building served as the "New Alexandria Coal Company Store", the company store. Other foundations and stone walls were identified near this building. A small frame building over looking the present road into Andrico was once Independent No. 1 School House, one of the school houses serving the town of Andrico, this building was moved to this site from its former location along the old Saltsburg Road below the Alex Laughlin farm and converted into a single family house, when the U.S. Corps of Engineers, Loyalhanna Dam flood control project was constructed, in the 1950's.
The extensive coal interests of the Jaminson family in Westmoreland County included the holdings of the New Alexandria Coke Company, which the Jamisons established in 1907. In February 1908, the New Alexandria Coke Company applied for a charter and mining operations started in the newly established coal patch town of Andrico. Richard H. Jamison served as president, and Charles M. Jamison, Secretary, of this concern which opened a drift mine and established the town of Andrico. The New Alexandria Coke Company constructed a branch line railroad from the New Alexandria Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad to its property in Derry Township and opened several large mines in the Pittsburgh Coal seam, underlying the lands of Guthrie, Laughlin, Steele, Seanor, Elliot, Rainey and others.
In 1930 T. Pollard Latta, formerly of Irwin Gas Coal Company, was head of the New Alexandria Coke Company. The New Alexandria Coke Company boasted of being the producers of the celebrated Greensburg Steam and Domestic Coal used in homes, factories and mills. Their General Offices were in the Turney Building in Greensburg, PA and the mines were located at Andrico, in Derry Township.
The Ad at the right, for the "New Alexandria Coke
Company" appeared in the 1915 New Alexandria High School Year
|The town of Andrico contained fifty-two
coal company built houses and the New Alexandria Coke Company Store.
Although the New Alexandria Coke Company was founded with the aim of
producing coke, this concern never built a coke works or engaged in the coke
buisness. Coal mined by the company was shipped via the New Alexandria
Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad for use as domestis coal and to other
sites for coking, probably including the coke works of the Jamison Coal &
Coke Company at Crabtree.
By 1910 the New Alexandria Coke Company opened two more drift mines in the vicinity of Andrico. That year the Andrico No. 1 Mine, which was the original Andrico Mine employed eighty-seven persons and produced 81,000 tons of coal. The Andrico No. 2 Mine employed 121 persons and, in its first year of operation produced nearly 75,000 tons of coal. In 1910, also the first year of its operation, Andrico No. 3 Mine produced about 74,000 tons of coal, employing sixty-five men and boys.
A new town Andrico No. 2, containing a number of shanties (small one story miner's houses), also was built on the hillside overlooking Loyalhanna Creek just north of the New Alexandria Cemetery to house the workers at Andrico No. 3 Mine. This town was completely torn down after the Andrico No.3 Mine closed. All traces of the site have been removed during more recent strip mining of the area.
The company generated its own electricity at 250 volts to run the motors, trolleys and cutting machines and provide electricity for the lighting and water for the 52 company houses and a large Company Store. The Company Store was managed by John Brown.
Three electric locomotives were used to haul coal from these mines; however, the locomotives were supplemented by mules. Most of the mining was done with pick and shovel, although the company employed a single electrically powered punching machine to extract the coal. All of the mines were served by the New Alexandria Branch of the Pennsylvania R.R.
(History and description of the Andrisco Mines, with additional data and pictures adapted from "Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites, 1994," America's Industrial Heitage Project, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, U.S. Department of the Interior, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)
|New Alexandria Branch of the PRR extended
The New Alexandria Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad was extended from the New Alexandria Railroad station across a concrete viaduct to the north shore of the Loyalhanna Creek, and a bridge over the creek to serve the town of Andrico and the Andrico Mines.
|The Pennsylvania Railroad train came down from New Alexandria Station on the Tub Mill Spur, to the Andrico Mine Tipple No. 5 where the railroad cars were shifted. This is also where the passanger train came to Andrico. Passangers paid 10 cents for a ticket from New Alexandria Station to the Andrico Station. At Andrico there was a Pennsylvania Railroad station, nearby the large loading platform, with the signboard "ANDRICO" on the front. Local farmers loaded their milk at the loading platform and different supplies were shipped and received via the train. The site of the Andrico Railroad Station area is now in the flood control lands of the Corp. of Engineers Loyalhanna Lake.|
|By 1914 a fourth drift mine had been opened
and the four Andrico Mines now employed 350 men and boys. At this time
the company operated six tipples, none of which survive.
New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 1 was on the Alex Laughlin farm north of the Saltsburg Road;
New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 2 was located above the spring at Andrico where the coal for the miners and their families was also mined;
New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 3 was located north of the New Alexandria Cemetery;
New Aleandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 4 was located at the Slezak Farm;
New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 5 was located near the Ackerman Farm; and
New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple No. 6 was located near the Elder farm.
In ca.1918 Andrico Tipple No. 2 caught fire, and a large barn that stood close by burned down. Mr. Simpson, who was barn boss, took the horses and mules to Ray Rush's barn where they were housed. Dynamite that was stored in a small building beside the tipple was carried out as the Tipple Burned. This fire could have been a disaster but by a miracle no one was injured.
Mr. Clark was superintendent of the New Alexandria Coke Company Mines. Pit bosses were: Charles Brown, Peter Marron, Thompson Brown and George Williams. Harry Franklin Bortz and Andy Cimbalos were two of the miners at Andrico Mines.
The Andrico mines were inactive by the 1930's. The road with the stone pillars off PA Rt. 981 N, before you come to the Andrico Road, was once the railroad bed and there was an electric cable type car that brought coal from Andrico Tipple No. 1 to Andrico Tipple No. 4. Coal was brought from Andrico Tipple No. 6 also by an electric cable type car and dumped at Andrico Tipple No. 5. The concrete pillars that supported the cable car can still be seen along PA Rt. 981, just north of the Andrico Road.
There were three one room school houses serving Andrico. The first was called the old Union School and was on the Hanna farm. The second was called Independent No. 1 School and was on the Alex Laughlin Farm. The third was Independent No. 2 School and was located at Andrico. Later, grades 5,6,7, and 8 went to school in the large blacksmith shop where a large room was converted to a school room. In 1940 or 1941 the children who still lived in Andrico were sent to Simpsons School House No.16, Derry Twp..
|An Andrico Mine Tipple
Tipple at Andrico No. 5 Mine or Andrico No. 6 Mine. Idenfication uncertain.
(Photo courtesy of the collections of Peter E. Starry, Jr., Coal Mining Historian, New Alexandria, PA)
|An Andrico Mine Tipple
Tipple at Andrico No. 5 Mine or Andrico No. 6 Mine. Identication uncertian.
(Photo courtesy of the collections of Peter E. Starry, Jr., Coal Mining Historian, New Alexandria, PA)
|New Alexandria Coke Company Andrico Tipple,
Plane No. 3. Located on the Loyalhanna Creek flat, just over the hill
(north) from the New Alexandria Cemetery, served Andrico No. 3 Mine. The
tipple was located on what was later the Newhouse Farm. The Mine was
served by a spur line from the Andrico Branch of the New Alexandria
Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Above the New Alexandria Cemetery, on the hill over looking
the mine tipple was the patch town of Andrico No. 2, containing a number
of shanties, the housing for the workers at Andrico Plane No. 3 Mine. This
patch was located on the Lyons Farm, presently ca.1999 the Newhouse Farm.
After the Andrico Tipple No. 3 Mine shut down the houses in the Andrico
No. 2 patch were torn down and all traces removed. The site above the cemetery
was subsequently stripped mined and no trace of the town remains. The only
remains of Andrico Tipple No. 3 are the railroad bed of the Pennsylvania
Railroad spur serving the mine and some concrete and stone remains around
the tipple area, the site of Andrico Tipple No. 3 is now located in the flood
control area of the Loyalhanna Dam. There are large pit holes in the
wooded area west of the New Alexandria Cemetery these are the result of this
mine caving in.
|Andrico No. 2 Mine Entry
Drift Entry of Andrico No. 2 Mine, New Alexandria Coke Company,
located below the town of Andrico. With the mule driver and hand loaded
coal buggy and the some of the miners, and a survey crew with the mine owner,
R.H. Jamison, in the white overcoat.
|Andrico No. 2 Mine Tipple
Andrico No. 2 Mine Tipple, New Alexandria Coke Company located
below the Town of Andrico. Fifty-two company houses, the Company store
and two schools were located in Andrico.
|Andrico No. 1 Tipple
Andrico No. 1 Mine Tipple, on Alex Laughlin farm, north of the Saltsburg Road (presentday PA. Rt. 981) on the hillside above Mannitto Haven. The Drift entry mine was located close to the top of the hill.
(Photo courtesy of Etna Kuhn & The New Alexandria Bicentennial History Committee)
|The Andrico Patch
Andrico Patch, of Andrico Mines, the New Alexndria Branch
of the Pennsylvania Railroad coming up from New Alexandria Station on the
Tub Mill Spur, is along the Tub Mill Creek creekbed. The old McKowen
farm is in the far background. The large Company store is at the end
of the row of houses. The Railroad extended up the valley to the Wm.
|Closer view of the Andrico Patch
(Photo courtesy of Bob Ackerman, and the Dispatch, Blairsville, PA)
|Data on Andrico Mines provided by:
Peter E. Starry, Jr., "The Old Miner", Coal Mining Historian, New Alexandria, PA
Harry T. Bortz, Railroading & Coal Mining Historian, New Alexandria, Pa
"200 Years of History, 1776-1976 in New Alexandria, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania" New Alexandria Bicentennial Committee, New ALexandria, PA 1976
"Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites" America's Industrial Hertiage Project, Historic American Buildiings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER), National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. 1994
|"Coal Miners Memorial,
Andrico, Derry Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania"
|To Select another Index
to Westmoreland County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to the Coal Mines
of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Westmoreland County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Westmoreland County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company