|Curtisville No. 1 Mine
(Ford Collieries No. 1 Mine) (ca.1909- ? ),
Located on the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad, Benjamin / Curtisville, Curtisville No. 1, West Deer Twp., Allegheny Co., PA
Owners: (ca.1909- ? ), Ford Collieries Company, Curtisville, PA
(ca.1920- ? ), Ford Collieries Company, Curtisville, PA
(ca.1928- ? ), Ford Collieries Company, Curtisville, PA
(ca.1945- ? ), Ford Collieries Company, Curtisville, PA
Curtisville No. 2 Mine
Curtisville No. 3 Mine
|From the Report of the Dept. of Mines of
Ford Collieries Company.
Francis and Benjamin Mines. The erection of these plants begun last April. The hoist shafts and slopes were sunk and manways driven and tipples and many outside buildings have been erected. These shafts have all modern improvements. Shafts are 10 feet x 16 feet; slopes 6 foot x 16 feet, and air shafts, 10 feet x 10 feet.
Curtisville No. 1 Mine (Benjamin Mine)
1909 Curtisville Shafts are dug and town is being built by the Michigan Alkali Company, under the Ford Collieries name.
Curtisville No. 1 Mine was to be the first and largest of the Ford Collieries Company Communities. As such it was to contain certain buildings and facilities not to be found in the other Ford Collieries company patch towns. The majority of these buildings were dwellings or offices for special personnel who were to provide certain services for all the Ford Collieries communities. These would include medical, police, fire protection, house maintenance, and others.
Contracting firms were hired to sink the mine shafts and built the first group of company houses. Later, company carpenters would complete the town, but first it would be necessary to have a number of houses constructed so that workers could be moved in.
This Curtisville No. 1 Mine, named the Benjamin Mine by Ford Collieries, had a valley location. Only a short railroad spur was necessary to join the main line of the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad. The mine plant itself, was placed in the valley bottom, dividing the lands owned by the company. The major portion of the town was to be built on a triangular-shaped hillside between the mine and the main railroad. The administrative center was at the apex of this triangle. It overlooked the mine valley and was near the railroad, the only good transportation around.
Captain Shoaf was the engineer responsible for the layout and building of the town of Curtisville. Shoaf Street bears his name.
Bairdford (Berry Mine - Curtisville No. 3 Mine)
Bairdford is a mining community of about 175 houses of which about 130 were former company houses. This company patch town, sometimes referred to as Curtisville No. 3, was an outgrowth of the Ford Collieries expansion of the two other Curtisvilles and had been planned from the beginning of their operations as their Berry No. 3 mine.
(Thanks to Ken Lewetag for the above information on Curtisville Mines.)
|Benjamin Mine Portal ca.1909
Mine workers posed at the Benjamin Mine (Curtisville No. 1 Mine) portal unconstruction. Len Schwab is under the X of the photo. Ernest J. Lewetag (Dutch) is second from the left.
(Photo courtesy of Dave Mathewson and Ken Lewetag.)
|Ford Collieries No. 1 Mine (Benjamin Mine)
Benjamin, Curtisville, Pa
(Photo courtesy of Ken Lewetag.)
Memorial, Curtisville Mines,
Curtisville, West Deer Twp., Allegheny County, Pennsylvania"
|Support the Coal & Coke Heritage
Center, a non-profit research center and museum.
Want to know more about the women who lived in the coal patch towns? You need this book. One of the few studies done on the women of the coal & coke era.
Common lives of Uncommon Strength:
The Women of the Coal & Coke Era of Southwestern Pennsylvania 1880-1970
Complied, written and edited by: Evelyn A. Hovanec, PhD 227 pages.
Voices of the women tell unique stores of the coal and coke era, plus vintage photographs, documents, maps, and newspaper articles. Hardcover $35.00 Soft cover $25.00 Add $5.00 shipping / handling.
Send Check or money order to:
Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State University Fayette Campus
P.O. Box 519, Uniontown, PA 15401
|To Select another Index
to Allegheny County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to Coal Mines of
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwest Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Allegheny County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Allegheny County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company