(This Page Still Underconstruction)
|Coverdale, Alleghany Co., PA
[A coal Company Patch Town in Bethel Park, Baldwin Twp., Allegheny Co., PA.]
[Coverdale, PA is the little mining town now surrounded by Bethel Park, PA. On Main Street in Bethel Park, at Miners' Memorial Field, there has been established a monument with all the names of the original people of this town with a picture of the mine building taken in 1947, just before the mine closed. A few years ago, Paul Henney from the funeral home put up the Miners Memorial.]
See: Coverdale Mine [Pittsburgh Terminal No. 8 Mine], Coverdale, Bethel Park, Allegheny Co., PA
A thoroughly modern coal-handling system has been installed at the Pittsburgh Terminal H. H. &. Coal Co.'s new No. 8 shaft, or Cover-dale mine, about 11 mi. (17.7 km.) from Pittsburgh on a spur of the Montour R. R. The Pittsburgh scam, which is the one worked, is reached at a depth of 342 ft. (104 m.). Power is delivered to the mine at 22,000 volts over a transmission line of the bow-arrow type of construction. A private telephone line connecting the various mines and the main office in Pittsburgh is carried on the same poles. The high-tension line is brought to an outdoor, step-down, transformer substation, where three 833-kv.-a., single-phase, 60-cycle, oil-insulated, self-cooled transformers reduce the potential to 2300 volts. The transformers are protected by electrolytic, aluminum-cell lightning arresters, horn gaps, and choke coils. High and low-tension busses, together with fuses, choke coils and air-break horn-gap switches with thcir remote-control operating mechanism are mounted on a substantial structural-steel tower 25 ft. (7.6 m.) in height. Mine Substation The transformer substation is adjacent to a. pressed-brick building that houses direct-current substation equipment together with switchboards, etc., for the control and distribution of power. This building also contains the hoist for the men and supplies. Main Switchboard The 2300-volt circuit is carried underground in a conduit from the transformer substation to an oil switch in the substation and supply hoist building. This is the main switch controlling the 2300-volt busbars mounted back to a twelve-panel black-slate switchboard. From the switchboard, 2300-volt circuits are carried to transformers feeding the street and house lighting systems and to other transformers furnishing power for the elevator and lighting circuits in the store building. Other 2300-volt circuits run from this switchboard to the main hoist building, fan house and auxiliary or man-and-supply hoist. High-tension wiring.
Operations of the Coverdale Mine are apparent on a Bridgeville 7.5-minute topographic map. A Mine Dump is shown adjacent to the Montour Railroad tracks and South Park Road. Coal was mined through vertical shafts accessing inclined slopes following the dip of the Pittsburgh coal. Mine voids in the inclined slope resulted from the practice of room and pillar mining during the early 1900s. The Coverdale Mine is closed and largely unflooded.
Miner's words honor doers of dark and dangerous work
Wednesday, August 14, 2002 Pittsburgh-Post Gazette
By Margaret Smykla, Tri-State Sports & News Service
Unlike Quecreek's dramatic rescue, miners' everyday struggles generally are played out in obscurity, heralded not in headlines but in testaments by those who toiled in the planet's deep bowels.
Those "shock troops, those laborious moles of industry," are memoralized, however, in a poem Bethel Park resident George Radnick wrote more than five decades ago.
George Radnick sits beside the grave of his brother, Steve, a miner, in the Bethel Cemetery Friday. Radnick's "Ode to a Miner," a poem he wrote in the 1940s, has been inscribed on a plaque on the monument. (Andy Starnes, Post-Gazette)
Ode to the Miner
That characterization is part of his 350-word poem, "Ode to the Miner," cast on a bronze plaque mounted on a 4-foot-by-4-foot granite grave marker that has stood for the past 10 years in Bethel Cemetery atop the grave of Radnick's brother Steve.
He was a miner along with Anthony Gerdich, a half-brother and former miner, who is buried nearby.
"Since my brother was a miner, and another brother, and our two fathers were miners, I wanted to do this," said George Radnick, 82, who worked in the Coverdale mine, Bethel Township, from 1938 to 1939.
He still carries the scars. A finger on his left hand bears an inch-long, tattoo-like black marking from an accident requiring stitches. "It became like a tattoo because of the black dust which gets in before you can get to a doctor, even though he washes it with alcohol."
Radnick experienced a close call shoveling coal when a piece of the mine roof fell, taking off the back of his shoe. But his indoctrination into the profession's hazards began years earlier when his father, Anthony Radnick, died after he was struck in the head outside the Coverdale mine in 1924.
Soon afterward, a Pittsburgh Terminal Coal representative told his mother she had one month to vacate the company house she now shared with her five children. Although she offered to pay rent, she was told it was needed for an active miner.
The family moved in with an aunt until Radnick's mother married Andy Gerdich, another miner, in 1927. He worked in the coal field about 50 years.
George Radnick quit Bethel Township School in the eighth grade. "If boys were husky enough, they had to go out and help supplement the income for the family," he said. He earned $42 every two weeks, mostly for digging coal by hand.
He heard after being drafted in January 1942 that volunteers received their preference of service, prompting him to join the Air Force.
It was in the barracks, while reflecting on his boyhood, that he wrote "Ode to the Miner," aided by the insight and skills he acquired through an English correspondence course from the University of Ohio at Athens. He showed the work-in-progress to a fellow soldier who worked as a journalist and liked the poem, but, otherwise, it remained unseen.
After his discharge, Radnick held various jobs while caring for his mother and stepfather, who died in 1968.
When news broke last month of the nine miners trapped in Somerset, Radnick called relatives, who hoped and prayed they would be safe.
But his days of worrying about family members venturing "down, down, into the sunless walls so deep," as he described in his poem, are over.
"No more miners in this clan," he said.
Ed Schoepflin, a resident of Indian Harbor Beach, Florida. Ed is now 88 years of age and is a brother of Marie Schaad, our former organist.
A St. Vincent de Paul Society was formed in St. Valentine Parish in 1935 with James Heger, Sr., Ed Schoepflin, Charles Meyers, Alex Stemnock, William D. Alcorn and Adolph Bendot as members. They met each Sunday after Mass in the tiny dug-out furnace room in the original frame church. The poor box would yield $2 or $3 from the two Sunday Masses. Food was purchased from Tony Knaus grocery store at the corner of Brightwood Road and South Park Road. Clothing was obtained at the St. Vincent de Paul Warehouse then located in the Hill District. At one time the Society received 100 25-lb bags of flour which was distributed to the needy. The Society predominately served the mining community of Coverdale. After the disastrous fire in July of 1942 which burned down our frame church, the group disbanded. The Society reorganized in 1955.
|Coal Miners Memorial
("H" Mine) (Pittsburgh Terminal No. 8 Mine),
Coverdale, Allegheny Co., PA
|Support the Coal & Coke Heritage
Center, a non-profit research center and museum.
Want to know more about the women who lived in the coal patch towns? You need this book. One of the few studies done on the women of the coal & coke era.
Common lives of Uncommon Strength:
The Women of the Coal & Coke Era of Southwestern Pennsylvania 1880-1970
Complied, written and edited by: Evelyn A. Hovanec, PhD 227 pages.
Voices of the women tell unique stores of the coal and coke era, plus vintage photographs, documents, maps, and newspaper articles. Hardcover $35.00 Soft cover $25.00 Add $5.00 shipping / handling.
Send Check or money order to:
Coal & Coke Heritage Center, Penn State University Fayette Campus
P.O. Box 519, Uniontown, PA 15401
|To Select another Index
to Allegheny County Coal Mines
Click on the Larry cars for Index Page
or on a Letter below
|Select another Index to Coal Mines of
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
[Click on a letter to take you to that Index]
|Return to the Main County Index for Southwest Pennsylvania Coal Mines|
Links to other coal mining sites
|Reference Sources for Southwestern Pennsylvania Coal Mines||The New Message Boards have not worked, Use our guestbook. Email the Editor.||Have
information to add on Allegheny County Coal Mines?
E-Mail the Editor
|Let the Old Miner know you've been here.
FastCounter by LinkExchange
If you have additional information or pictures on the Coal
Mines of Allegheny County, PA
Contact: Ray Washlaski, Editor
Copyright 2008, All rights reserved, by Raymond A. Washlaski, Ryan P. Washlaski & The 20th Century Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Web site Design by "Mercers, an Undertakers" Web Design Company